16 September 2013

The Book of Me, Prompt #3: Your Physical Self (Part 2)

In Part 1, I alluded to a condition I have in my left pelvis and leg.  I was born with Klippel-Trenaunay Syndrome (KTS).  People with KTS typically have capillary, vascular, and lymphatic malformations.  These malformations are usually confined to only one limb or one side of the body.  KTS is not something that is passed down from generation to generation; it is likely the result of a genetic mutation that occurs during embryonic development.  It occurs randomly. 

I have a port-wine stain birthmark that stretches from my left hip all the way down the entire length of my left leg and foot.  I have had varicose veins in the leg most of my life.  I started wearing a compression stocking as a young teenager, although not every day as I should have done.  In my 20s, my condition worsened dramatically and I had to start walking with a cane.  At that time, I had several surgeries to try to close off some of the most painful veins; however, that just pushes the blood into other poorly-functioning veins, so those end up becoming varicose, too.  I now must wear a thigh-length 40-50 mmHg compression stocking from the time I get out of bed until I go to sleep at night.  My foot swells up more than any other part of my leg, because the blood just pools down there, and I usually have to by wide-width shoes.  I try to rest and elevate the leg as much as I can throughout the day.  When I overdo it, I do get painful superficial blood clots, usually in my foot.  Thankfully, at this point, over-the-counter pain relievers are sufficient for me when I'm experiencing pain.  Many people with KTS need some pretty heavy-duty prescription pain meds to make it through each day. 

There are no cures for KTS. Many KTS patients I know suffer from bleeding ulcers and skin infections that land them in the hospital repeatedly.  Some others have had their KT limbs amputated.  I am fortunate in that I have never had to deal with any of those complications.

This disease is obviously a huge part of who I am and has shaped me into the person I am today, for better and for worse.  It limits me physically from being able to do the things I would like to do, but, at the same time, it helps me to put other 'small' problems into perspective and it makes me thankful for the blessings I do have.  The disease has kept my vanity in check, but it has also severely weakened by self-esteem.  I typically wear long pants or very long skirts and shoes that completely cover my foot, because I am apprehensive of other people seeing it.

BUT, I've decided to include it in my Book of Me because it is not something I am ashamed of.  I want my kids to be happy with their physical bodies, no matter what they look like, and I need to set the example.  (My daughter is only three years old, and yet she is already very perceptive of her appearance.)  Yes, my leg is unattractive and what some people would label ugly, but it is what I was given, so I must make the most of it.

Here are a couple of photos of my leg with and without my stocking on.  I must wear a toe cap in addition to the open-toe stocking, in order to keep my toes from swelling too much.



11 comments:

  1. You seem to have a really positive attitude in dealing with a condition that is always there and so problematic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing - these prompts and individual responses have been amazing. I am learning about my fellow genealogists and am happy to know you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing.

    I can feel just a little of your pain. I broke my leg in 1996 -- tib/fib fracture that had to be fixed with a plate and 8 screws. It was a life-changing injury. I have had one other surgery on my leg, and probably more to come including reconstructing my ankle. I have swelling (yep, support stockings and lots of pain) and a truly lovely scar too. I never wear anything but pants as my scar and leg, quite frankly, attract attention. It has changed my life -- I am unable to do many things that I did before the injury, like skiing with my family and running, and sometime stairs are difficult to handle, and I have a constant level of pain on a daily basis. But, I also have the experience of being confined to a wheelchair for a few months, and dependent on others and how that affected my ability to be a mom and wife, which has made me a more emphatic and compassionate person.

    You are a very brave person and I so appreciated reading about the challenges that you must face, and the positive attitude that you carry.

    Best of luck to you, and thanks for your insight into this part of your life.


    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing. We don't always know the burden others bear and yet are able to achieve much. Who knows where Medical treatment will advance too in the years to come. I also have my physical problems to deal with so certainly understand how it can shape your thoughts and actions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another great post and thank you for staring. I am sure that was not easy to do.

    We should never be ashamed of our individual life journey - the route that our genetic line took to get us here and wherever we are.

    We are conditioned by society to label things and people - fat, thin, stupid etc etc. We are SO MUCH MORE than those labels and we only see what is obvious rather than look beneath the surface.

    Thanks once again for sharing, and why don't you record your daughter talking. She is only 3 once!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh sweetie, you are amazing. You deal with pain every day, both physical and emotional. But your spirit shines through. What Julie said is so true--we are conditioned that we must be thin, pretty, rich, etc., but the majority of us are anything but. I always look to the person inside, never the exterior, as I hope others will do with me. You have your priorities straight and a wonderful attitude--I'm sure I would love you if I ever get to meet you. Hang tough...you're important to many and we thank you for your candor and courage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind comments; I appreciate it. I've talked with other people who have this condition through Facebook, and we always say that if we could choose to go back and NOT have the disease, we probably wouldn't, because it makes you strong and more aware of what is really important in life.

      Delete
  7. I promise you I will never, never complain about my fallen arches again. I admire your positive outlook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everybody is entitled to a little complaining now and then, especially when it involves pain. I even feel bad complaining because I know that I could have it much worse. And I try to stay positive, but, believe me, I have plenty of days when I do feel sorry for myself. I'm human.

      Delete
  8. Dear Emily - Great post. Thanks so much for sharing. I learn so much through blogging. I had never heard of KTS before.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had never heard of KTS before either. Thank you so much for being so open and sharing with us. You share what a strong woman you really are. Congrats for being wonderful YOU!

    ReplyDelete