16 October 2013

31 Days To Write The Story Of Your Family - Day 15: Fall and Winter

31 Days To Write The Story Of Your Family

Day 15: Fall and Winter

Fall has always been my favorite time of year.  I don't handle the heat of summer too well, so it's always such a relief for me when the temperatures cool down.  My birthday is in November, and so is my son's birthday, so, when you add Thanksgiving to the mix, we do a lot of celebrating that month.  My kids really like doing little 'nature hikes' in the fall, because they like to pick up the fallen leaves and acorns to look at them and collect them.  We usually go to at least one pumpkin patch as a family during the autumn, and this year I took my daughter apple-picking for the first time.  It was so much fun; I definitely want to make it a yearly tradition.  Over the past couple of years, my son has also played soccer in the fall, so I look forward to going to his games to watch him play.

In December, we celebrate Christmas.  We try to make it a month-long celebration that encompasses the religious aspect of the holiday, so the kids just don't think it's all about presents.  Last year, my son made an Advent wreath at school, and we lit a candle every week leading up to Christmas.  My kids aren't really into sledding yet, but they do enjoy playing outside in the snow.  I grew up ice-skating a lot during the winter months.  I'd like to teach my kids to skate, but there aren't any ice skating rinks near our town - we're going to have to drive a little bit to find one.  Last year, one of the nearby towns had a drive-thru holiday light show/display.  It was fun and I'm sure we'll do that again this year.

1 comment:

  1. my birthday is in November too! and even though we don't celebrate christmas, we love light displays. there is one nearby that the lights move along to music that comes through your car radio - so fun!

    ReplyDelete