09 October 2013

31 Days To Write The Story Of Your Family - Day 9: Those We Miss

Day 9: Those We Miss

I was only able to meet one of my great-grandparents growing up; the other three had passed away before I was born.  My great-grandma Adele was an Italian immigrant who lived to the age of 95.  She was very independent and opinionated and lived in her own apartment until she passed away.  I was 12 years old when she died.

My paternal grandmother passed away when I was four years old.  I don't remember that much about her, but through my family history research, I've learned a little more about her life, and I "miss" having the chance to talk to her more about it.  My maternal grandmother passed away when I was 18.  She was my confirmation sponsor and she lived with us during her last year.  She came to America from Italy when she was six, and served in the Coast Guard during WWII.  I miss her more than my other grandparents; I feel like I have a lot in common with her - more than I do with my own mom.  Except my cooking - I wish my grandmother could come back and give me cooking lessons, because I am an awful cook and she was really good at it.

My mom's dad passed away when I was ten and my dad's dad passed away when I was twenty-three.  I do miss them, too.  I think they would have liked to have met and played with my children.

My children did not have the opportunity to meet any of my grandparents.  Both of my husband's paternal grandparents are still alive and well, so we try to visit them as much as we can when we visit his hometown. (They will be celebrating their 70th(!) wedding anniversary next August.)


1 comment: