20 October 2013

31 Days To Write The Story Of Your Family - Day 19: Siblings

31 Days to Write the Story of Your Family

Day 19: Siblings

I am the oldest of five children. I have three brothers and one sister. One of my brothers is only 18 month younger than me; my other two brothers are 7 and 9 years younger than me. I was 12 when my   sister was born. With such a wide range of ages, it was an interesting dynamic. My closet-in-age brother was my first playmate, so I have many memories of us playing together when we were young. However, as preteens and teenagers we didn't always get along so well.  Since I was so much older than my other siblings, I feel like half of my time spent with them was as a playmate and half was as a caretaker, especially once my sister came along. 

I now live in Indiana and all of my siblings live in Northeast Ohio. I get to see them usually only a few times per year.  One of my brothers works for Key Bank in their trust department. Another one is a correctional officer at a county jail and the other one works as a customer service/sales representative for the Cleveland Browns. My sister is in her senior year at The University of Akron, where she is studying graphic design.  I am not super-close to any of my siblings. We get along when we see each other and share lots of inside jokes from when we were growing up, but we don't call or text each other regularly. My one brother just got married this past summer, but my other siblings are not married. I am the only one with children. 

My husband has two older brothers and one younger sister. We all got married within two years of each other and there are now nine grandchildren on that side, where the oldest one is seven and a half and the youngest is three. It is crazy fun for the kids when we are all able to get together on that side, but most of them still live a few hours away, so it only happens a few times a year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment