26 October 2013

31 Days To Write The Story Of Your Family - Day 24: Family Careers

31 Days to Write the Story of Your Family

Day 24: Family Careers

As I have mentioned before, both me and my husband are meteorologists.  He works for an environmental permitting company (They basically help various factories and industries apply for EPA permits and they also use computers to model air pollution dispersion.)  I currently stay at home full-time with our children.  Before we had kids, I worked for a couple of years as a meteorology instructor at Valparaiso University.  After that, I worked for a large reinsurance company in Chicago.  My job consisted of making weekly reports on natural disasters around the world.  We also ran computer catastrophe models for our clients, and if a storm (like a hurricane) was threatening land, we issued real-time reports on location and strength for our clients.  

My dad is in education.  For most of his career, he has been an elementary school principal.  My mom has had several jobs.  When my brother and I were very young, she worked nights at a pizza parlor. (We ate a lot of pizza!).  Then she had an office job for a little while.  She became a full-time stay-at-home mom when I was about seven and stayed with that until I was probably thirteen.  She then took a part-time evening/weekend job with Sears' credit card division and stayed with that until they shut down the office probably almost ten years ago.  Now she works for her local public school system doing office work for the district's nutrition program.

My siblings have all followed different career paths.  One of my brothers majored in marketing and he now works in a large bank's trust department.  Another brother studied criminal justice in college and now works in a correctional facility.  My final brother majored in communications and works a customer service job right now.  My sister, who is still in college, is majoring in art/graphic design.

My mom's dad worked as a printer for a printing company and my dad's dad was a plumber.  One of my great-grandfathers owned and operated a hardware store between the 1920s and 1940s, and another great-grandfather owned a clothing/embroidery business.  I think I have a bit of them inside me, because I always think about trying to start a business once the kids get a little older.  (What that business would entail, I have no idea yet!)





No comments:

Post a Comment